Features and benefits
Oriental Botanicals AllergE contains herbs traditionally used in TCM to help:
- Relieve hayfever (allergic rhinitis) symptoms, including sneezing, runny nose, watery eyes, inflammation of the mucous membranes, and itching and dryness of the eyes, nose and throat
- Ease mild food intolerance symptoms such as digestive discomfort, nausea, bloating and diarrhoea
- Calm inflamed, hot and itchy skin conditions like mild eczema (atopic dermatitis) and hives
- Relieve mild bronchial irritation and respiratory mucus (catarrh)
- Soothe coughing
In laboratory (in vitro) studies, herbs in Oriental Botanicals AllergE have also demonstrated:
- Anti-allergic activity
- An inhibitory effect on histamine release and activity
- Anti-inflammatory properties
- Liver-protecting properties
How it works
Oriental Botanicals AllergE contains a blend of herbs called Minor Bupleurum Combination or Minor Bupleurum Decoction, which is comprised of the herbs bupleurum, baical skullcap, pinellia, Korean ginseng, Chinese licorice, ziziphus and ginger, and has been used in TCM for more than 1800 years.
Herbs in this formula are traditionally used in TCM to relieve mild allergy symptoms. For example:
- In hayfever (also known as allergic rhinitis), to relieve symptoms like sneezing, runny nose, watery eyes, itching of the nose, eyes and throat, and swollen and inflamed mucous membranes
- In mild food intolerances, to relieve and help manage symptoms such as nausea, bloating, diarrhoea and digestive discomfort
- To relieve hot, itchy and inflamed skin conditions like mild eczema (also referred to as atopic dermatitis) and hives
From the perspective of TCM, these effects occur because herbs in Oriental Botanicals AllergE support specific forms of Qi (life force energy) called Lung Qi and Defensive Qi, which work together to regulate the immune defences and improve resistance to allergens.
Many symptoms of mild allergies and intolerances are initiated by the body’s release of a substance called histamine in response to contact with an allergen. In laboratory studies (in vitro research), both Baical skullcap and the AllergE formula as a whole have been shown to decrease the release of histamine from mast cells, and to inhibit its activity. Baical skullcap also exhibits anti-inflammatory properties in in vitro research, and bupleurum demonstrates liver-protecting activity.
In addition to their use for the relief of mild allergy symptoms, herbs in Oriental Botanicals AllergE are also traditionally used in Chinese medicine to relieve respiratory symptoms such as mild bronchial irritation and cough, and digestive symptoms caused by either constrained or stagnant flow of Liver Qi (which may manifest as bloating, nausea and diarrhoea), or excess Heat in the Gallbladder organ-meridian system (which may cause symptoms of poor appetite, vomiting and nausea).
Also consider the following products, which are suitable for use with Oriental Botanicals AllergE: