Features and benefits
Oriental Botanicals Cystitum contains:
- Cranberry to help to reduce the occurrence of medically diagnosed cystitis in women
- Alisma and phellodendron to relieve symptoms of medically diagnosed cystitis, and pyrrosia to help relieve burning pain while urinating (based on their use in traditional Chinese medicine, TCM)
- Couch grass, which is used to relieve symptoms of medically diagnosed cystitis in traditional Western herbal medicine due to its anti-inflammatory properties and soothing effects on irritated tissues
- Crataeva, which is traditionally used to support bladder health and urinary function in traditional Ayurvedic medicine
Always read the label. Follow the directions for use. If symptoms persist, worsen or change unexpectedly speak to your healthcare practitioner.
How it works
Cranberry helps reduce the frequency of medically diagnosed cystitis in women
Women experience cystitis more frequently than men due to the shorter length of their urinary tracts (which make it easier for bacteria to reach the bladder and cause infection).
It’s estimated that three in ten women will experience at least one bout of cystitis in their lifetimes. Recurrence of the infection is common, with around a quarter of women who experience a cystitis infection also experiencing a second cystitis episode within six months of the first*.
Oriental Botanicals Cystitum contains cranberry, which helps reduce the occurrence of medically diagnosed cystitis in women. It works by inhibiting common cystitis-causing bacteria from attaching to the bladder wall.
Couch grass: soothing and anti-inflammatory
Couch grass (pronounced ‘cooch’) is used to ease symptoms of medically diagnosed cystitis in traditional Western herbal medicine, where it’s regarded as having anti-inflammatory actions, soothing effects on irritated tissues, and as helping to flush out the urinary tract.
The couch grass used in Oriental Botanicals Cystitum is Elymus repens (previously known as Agropyron repens), which is a different species to the plant of the same common name that’s often used for growing lawns.
Chinese herbs for cystitis symptom relief
In TCM, phellodendron and alisma are used to relieve symptoms of medically diagnosed cystitis.
For example, based on its use in TCM, alisma relieves the urinary burning that’s characteristic of medically diagnosed cystitis and helps support healthy excretion of urine, which may be compromised during cystitis. Pyrrosia is used in a similar way in TCM.
In TCM, these three herbs are also used to support the overall health and function of the urinary tract.
Crateva supports urinary and bladder health
Oriental Botanicals Cystitum also contains crateva, which has a long history of use in traditional Ayurvedic medicine for maintaining the health and function of the urinary system, including that of the bladder.
* Reference: Jepson, R.G. et al. Cochrane Database Syst Rev, 2012;10CD001321.